16 ways to choose the perfect name for a startup tutorial translation
We know how difficult it is to name your project and create an attractive domain. In pursuit of the beautiful name, we are monitoring the Internet and organize brainstorming with friends and colleagues, and still do a lot of things.
Stop wasting a lot of time, write the code and looking for customers, it is at times more important.
The names of companies that use these methods, it is quite noteworthy.
Under the cut 16 procedures: in most cases they involve two phases - the creation of a list of words related to your project, and the mixing of these words, ie search for "golden" combination.
Tags will be based on the name of your startup, so the more of them you write, the more options you will have. Do not forget to sort them by meaning and categories:
1. Conceptual words. Select the words that represent the essence of your project. They can include both project categories (travel, music, fashion) and the basic functions of the product that you produce (research, analysis).
Example: A family app generates words like ancestry (genealogy, lineage, roots), relatives (mother, parents), storytelling (narrative, news), home (nest, hut) and sharing (bond, tie).
2. Metaphors. To move away from the platitudes, expand your list of words and phrases that are indirectly owned by your business. Experiment to focus on the details, write down everything that comes to mind. As a rule, metaphors allow you to select more than the original name that distinguishes you from the crowd, and also allows you to save money on domain name registration (original domains are more likely to be free and will get you a lower cost).
Examples (in English.)
Names associated with family: fam, bunch, collection, kin
Objects commonly found in families: photo frame, fireplace, family records
Phrases typical associated with family: call me, i love you, goodnight
Feelings that family elicits: happiness, joy, trust, safety
Moments spent with family: dinner, living room, weekend
3. Synonyms: You can extend the list by adding a synonym for the words that you have chosen in accordance with paragraphs 1 and 2.
Example: Family = ancestors, blood, clan, descendants, folk, kin, lineage and tribe.
4. The list of examples and types of product startup. Select the appropriate words for types or examples of the product that you are going to create. Remember that the association with the product must be clear not only you but also your target audience, quickly come to mind.
Example: Family trees - redwood, maple, spruce, chestnut and birch.
5. Visualization. Sometimes the picture may be more informative than a thousand words, especially when it comes to the essence of the idea. In order to choose the startup business names, create associative array of pictures that you find on the Internet. Pinterest greatly help you in this matter, because allows you to search by keyword among the huge number of high quality pictures.
Example: Pinterest, Google image search, Yandex
Now that you have an impressive list of words that is associated with your company, its activities and its product, you should create a combination of words that the name "catchy" and was an original and memorable. Here are some tactics to be used for this purpose:
1. Mixed words. Write one word against another and just combine them! Try a combination of two nouns, noun and verb - the main thing that they sounded harmoniously together. This method is most common in the world practice the choice of names for startups.
Startups: Birchbox, SendGrid, Skillshare, Milewise, Timehop, Betaworks, Sailthru, Fitbit, CardMunch, GetAround, Facebook, Geeklist, Foursquare, LaunchRock
2. Hybrid word. Combine words using common sounds or syllables. Hybrid words require much more creativity and accuracy than a simple combination, but always found the perfect hybrid falls on the ear
Startups: Pinterest (pin + interest), Mixel (mix + pixel), Codecademy (code + academy), Rentenna (rent + antenna)
3. prefixes and suffixes. Another perfect way to create a unique name. He is not easy, as the number of known prefixes and suffixes is limited, so you'll get the maximum effect, if you just write them in a row and to substitute your "root" word to them.
Startups: onSwipe, inDinero, Alltuition, Mycityway, Nestio, Goodsie, Spotify, Shopify, Posterous, bitly, Huntsy, Rootsy
4. Errors in words. Try to remove the vowels or substitute letters in ordinary words. For the first time, it looks unusual, but the newly formed word you will have the advantage due to the fact that it almost looks like an ordinary. In other words, the eye and the ear will not strain.
Startups: Tumblr (tumbler), Consmr (consumer), Flud (flood), Etsy (etc.), Yext (next), Gyft (gift), Lyst (list), Fotopedia (photopedia), Scribd (scribed), Zynga ( Zinga), Digg (dig), Google (googol), Xoom (zoom), Redd t (read it)
5. Add the number. Addition of numbers and numbers to the word always makes the name more interesting. Use this technique wisely - a meaning in numbers, and the number that is added.
Startups: 1000memories (many memories), 10gen (rhymes), Lot18 (short), 37signals (37 radio telescope signals to detect ET intelligence)
6. Use the Domain Extensions. .com Extension remains the "gold" standard. Use it or other options as an extension of an invented word. Does not recommend the use of second-level domains, as they greatly complicate perception.
Startups: Art.sy, Visual.ly, Reclip.it, News.me, About.me, Last.fm, Shelby.tv, Chart.io, Trigger.i, Betali.st, Brit.co, Angel.co, del.icio.us (do not try this last one at home!)
7. prefixes or get- -app. Using these prefixes may not be the most elegant solution, but provides additional opportunities. This method is the least used, if only because it causes negative effects if misused.
8. backwards-forwards. Simple but effective! If the ideas come to an end, and the perfect title has not yet been found, try to write the appropriate "root" words backwards-forwards.
Startups: Xobni (inbox)
Other companies: Harpo (Oprah), Aneres (Serena)
9. coined the word. Penultimate way that brings results. Think of a word, use one of the previously described strategies - and the name of the set! To make a word invented, but enjoyable to read, add more vowels.
Startups: Yipit, Yobongo
10. Finally, the option for the lazy and those who have extra money: premium domains. Various sites have entire lists of good, but expensive domain names that you can purchase the. However, leave this option "rainy day" - you just fantasy should be enough!
Too much a technician? Difficult To? Perhaps, but experience shows that it is better to use proven methodologies than to call their project at random. Remember that if you do not get the first time - set aside the issue for a couple of days, because it is necessary to be creative with a fresh mind!